Thursday, April 08, 2010

Nice to have been in the running

I received word today that my book Ray Schalk: A Baseball Biography was not selected for the 2010 Larry Ritter Award of the Society for American Baseball Research. The award goes to the year's best book focusing on the Deadball Era (1900-1919).

The honor went to Robert Peyton Wiggins for The Federal League of Base Ball Clubs, which was published by McFarland (publisher of my Schalk and Red Faber biographies).

The Schalk biography was among the 10 or so finalists did not advance to the top three in the judging. Congratulations to Mr. Wiggins.

Though it would have been great, obviously, to have a book rank higher, it was nice to have a book nominated for the award.

I doubt that my next book will even be considered for this award. After all, it's a football biography.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Although you did not win the Ritter Award, I found your biography on Ray Schalk to be very enlightening and well written. Box scores do not tell the whole story and your book did an excellent job on highlighting how leadership, integrity, durability, defensive skills, and a passion for excellence often say much more about a man than the number of home runs hit.

I have been a Ray Schalk fan since 1964. My family took me to a Sox game to celebrate my eleventh birthday and attending with us was my grandfather’s friend and neighbor – Ray Schalk. I went home that night with my first baseball autograph – on an actual Hall of Fame card! Soon thereafter, I wrote Mr. Schalk a thank you letter and asked him about any information he may have about Cooperstown or the White Sox. He was gracious enough to send me additional autograph pictures of his Hall of Fame induction, copies of his career statistics with annotations describing records that he was most proud of, and an offer to come watch me play my next Little League game. Silly me for not taking him up on that offer!

Over the years I have collected a number of Ray Schalk memorabilia items and have always been interested in learning more about his life. Thank you so much for sharing.

Brian Cooper said...

Scott, thanks so much for writing. It is gratifying to know that my work on the book is appreciated. Coincidentally, partly because of the uptick in interest in Ray Schalk, next Saturday (May 8) his native Litchfield, Ill., will be rededicating Ray Schalk Fields. I've been asked to say a few words, and Ray's grandson Jim and other relatives are expected. Thanks again!

Michelle Richardson said...

I recently found out from my Uncle that Ray Schalk was my GGma's first cousin. I will have to order your book now and wanted to thank you for writing it. I'm sorry you didn't get an award but I am most grateful. I can't wait to tell my 88 y/o Uncle that someone took the time to write a book about HIS Uncle.

Michelle Richardson said...

I recently found out from my Uncle that Ray Schalk was my GGma's first cousin. I will have to order your book now and wanted to thank you for writing it. I'm sorry you didn't get an award but I am most grateful. I can't wait to tell my 88 y/o Uncle that someone took the time to write a book about HIS Uncle.